Finally some innovation!
Drill press technology has been stagnant over the years. Mainly size, power, and gimmicky features have been improved or added in the recent years. The Voyager DVR Drill Press by NOVA is a significant upgrade over the “traditional” drill press. The drill press still had all the same traditional features of a drill press but has DVR technology and a full blown digital functions that really bring this unit to the next level.
Voyager DVR Drill Press
As previously mentioned, this drill press brings technology never seen before but this technology is in a package that is well built and engineered to last along time. At first glance, you will notice how small, both in size and height, the Voyager DBR Drill press is. This is due to the DVR technology, which eliminates the need for pulleys and belts. This shrinks the top unit of the drill press in both the depth and height.
The lack of pulleys and belts makes this unit extremely quiet. No more rattling covers or out of balance pulleys.
ACME Tools: NOVA Voyager 58000 DVR 18 In. Drill Press
- Nova Voyager DVR Drill Press
- Drill Chuck (key)
- Hardware/Fastenings pack
- Owner’s Manual
- Variable Speed control with digital readout – adjust with the dial
- 50-5,500 RPM
- Sensors for drilling depth, motor load and vibration
- 1.75 HP Motor – easily handles wood, metal, plastic and glass
- Direct drive motor – smooth and quiet
- Intelligent speed selection – pick you bit and material and it gives you the correct RPM
- 6″ of quill travel with 2 revolutions of the handle
- Adjustable mechanical stop
- Digital readout for depth of drilling
- Metric or Imperial measurements
- Motor can be forward or reverse
- Slow start pilot hole function
- Tapping assist function
- Electronic braking
- Load readout
- Travel: 6”
- Number of Spindle Speeds: Variable
- Speed Range: 50-3000 RPM (with option in settings to increase to 5500 RPM)
- Spindle Taper: MT2
- Spindle Distance to Table: 23-1/8” (587mm) maximum
- Spindle Distance to Base: 40-15/16” (1040mm)
- Table Dimensions: 16 1/2”L x 16.1/2”W (419mm x 419mm)
- Table Tilt: -45° to +45°
- Table Rotation: 360°
- Chuck Size: 5/8” (3-16mm)
- Column Diameter: 3-5/8” (92mm)
- Base Dimensions: 22-1/4”L x 17-1/2”W (565mm x 445mm)
- Motor Power: 1.75HP (1250W)
- Motor Voltage: 115/230V Single-phase
- Motor Current: 15/10A max.
- Brand: Nova
- Manufacturer Part Number: 58000
- Weight (lbs): 306.0000
DVR is an acronym for “Digital Variable Reluctance.” This technology automatically adjusts and maintains the speed and power of the machine based on the resistance the computer registers. The computer optimizes efficiency so the motor only draws as much power as needed, this is said to save up to 50% in energy over conventional motors.
The units boasts a 1 3/4″ HP high torque motor which has plenty of power to compete your tasks. We could easily drill a 2 1/8″ hole with a forsner bit, which takes a lot of power. That was the largest bit we had on hand.
Variable Speed Control
The DVR technology allows the user to change the RPM or speed of the drill press by simply rotating the nob on the front of the unit. No changing belts or anything. This saves so much time and allows the user to dial in the exact speed for the drilling tasks, which creates a much safer environment.
Prior to the Voyager, we had a traditional drill press and kept it at a speed that was in the middle of the road. Changing speeds was such a hassle that we rarely moved it. We performed most of our tasks at that speed, which wasn’t the safest nor the kindest on our bits. Excess speed can cause bits to heat up and wear out there temper and go dull extremely fast.
Digital Depth Readout and Stop
The Voyager DVR Drill Press by NOVA has your traditional mechanical depth stop but it also has a digital depth readout and stop. The user can set the zero point anywhere (typically placed on the surface of your material) and then the depth can be digitally set. Once the bit gets near the depth the user set, an audible beep will get faster and faster and once the bit reaching the set depth, the drill press will shut off.
This is an excellent for production work or very precise hole depth work.
Who is this drill press for?
Professional woodworker – a woodworker that desires extreme precision on drilling holes or work created at the drill press. In addition to precision work, the speed at which a user can complete their work is substantial faster than traditional drill presses.
Metalworker – In my opinion, matching the speed of your drill press to the material is extremely important but it is substantially more important with metalworking than woodworking. When drilling holes in metal, it is imperative that the speed of your drill be set correctly. With the variable speed changing knob, the user can easily do this in a jiffy. Not having the right speed will be detrimental to your bits.
Production facility – We can see a production facility replacing their fleet of traditional drill presses with a few of the Voyager DVR drill presses.
This drill press is extremely well build, it has state of the art features, but it does come in at a hefty price tag. If you are someone that wants the latest and greatest or the best of the best. This drill press is for you!