The Best Toolbox?
The Home Depot has a large selection of tool chests and cabinets that are all very similar and from different brands. Milwaukee has changed the market slightly with the first introduction of the standard 46″ toolbox, followed by a high capacity version of that same 46″ that was quickly discontinued for no apparent reason. Almost a year later, a new Milwaukee 56″ high capacity hit the market looking exactly the same as the 46″ high capacity. Our first question is how long will the Milwaukee 56″ High Capacity Tool Chest and Cabinet remain on the market. Secondly, we have to wonder when there will be a significant sale as this box retails for $1,498. Yes, it is just under the cost of two standard 46″ Milwaukee toolboxes.
So with that in mind, we made the video above to share our experience with this toolbox and share some of the items we learned from the almost identical 46″ high capacity toolbox.
- Top chest left drawer bank: 1 drawer 30.7 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 2.9 in. H, 2 drawers 30.7 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 2 in. H, 1 drawer 30.7 in. W x 16.6 in. D x 2.1 in. H.
- Top chest right drawer bank: 1 drawer 18.5 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 2.9 in. H, 2 drawers 18.5 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 2 in. H, 1 drawer 18.5 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 3.1 in. H
- Bottom cabinet: top full-width drawer 51.7 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 1.8 in. H, 2nd full-width drawer 51.7 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 4.2 in. H
- Bottom cabinet left drawer bank: 1 drawer 30.7 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 1.8 in. H, 1 drawer 30.7 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 3.1 in. H, 1 drawer 30.7 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 4.1 in H, 1 bottom drawer 30.7 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 9.5 in. H.
- Bottom cabinet right drawer bank: 1 drawer 18.5 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 1.8 in. H, 1 drawer 18.5 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 3.1 in. H, 1 drawer 18.5 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 4.1 in. H, 1 bottom drawer 18.5 in. W x 19.8 in. D x 9.5 in. H
If you are looking for the new box on The Home Depot’s website, note that they sell it in a combo with one SKU for both boxes and also sell it separately. Currently, you will only find it available if you buy the top and bottom separately. Note it is the same price if you buy them in the combo or separately.
When you go to the store to buy them, take something that can handle the two large boxes that will be 51″ wide. Many truck beds will not be able to fit both boxes. Also note that if you have a trailer with a gate, the person on the forklift might not be overly accommodating to you, that was my experience anyway.
The bottom chest is shipped with the casters already installed. That is a great help in assembling this unit. It is easiest to remove the lags holding the pallet together with a 13mm socket and let the bottom slide down to the floor. That is much easier than trying to lift it out. From there, all you have to assemble is the bumpers and any accessories you would like to add.
During assembly, we removed all the drawers and took a look at the inside and build quality. Check out the video to see that along with our opinions.
The electronic locks can be set for your favorite 4 digit code. They are able to store up to 15 personalized codes. Unfortunately, the electronic lock on our lower cabinet does not function. Even worse, the locks are not made to be used with the keys. The keys are for emergency unlocking of the cabinet if the watch battery that runs them dies. Depending on the position of the lock, it will not let the key be removed once the lock was changed from the original electronic locked position. This forces you to use the electric locks and in our case, does not allow us to lock the bottom cabinet at all.
There is a TON more information in our video so please check it out and leave your comments!