Compact Brushless Drills
The DEWALT DCD797 20-volt XR Compact Hammer Drill with Tool Connect is the latest DEWALT XR Brushless drill that is basically the DCD796 with additional integrated Bluetooth technology and Tool Connect settings. To use the Tool Connect features you must have a mobile device and download a free mobile app. The DEWALT Tool Connect App allows you to use an Inventory Manager web portal to track, manage and customize the tool. There is no need for a Bluetooth battery to use the app with this tool as it is integrated into the tool.
If you do not want to use the Tool Connect features, DEWALT set the 3 modes up to control the intensity of the LED light on the front of the drill. On all settings, the two speeds will be Speed 1 (0-550 RPM) Speed 2 (0-2,000 RPM). DEWALT rates this drill at 460 Units Watts Out and as a comparison, that is a touch over half the power of the DCD996 or DCD997. This compact drill is slightly smaller than its larger brother, but when compared to other brands, one would not call this compact. There is a very minimal difference in size between the DEWALT DCD797 and the full-size Milwaukee 2706-20 that features 1,200-inch pounds of torque. We believe that these drills will become more compact and more powerful in the near future.
DCD797 Tool Connect Features
- LAST SEEN feature helps reduce wasted time and money by providing the street address of where your compact hammer drill was last in range of your Tool Connect-enabled device
- Easily and quickly assign tools to job sites and users on the Tool Connect Inventory Manager software, increasing accountability and reducing lost tools
- Receive diagnostics on the tool like internal coin cell battery life, temperature, number of trigger pulls, and how long the tool has been running
- Set “disable when out of range” alerts to help deter unauthorized use or theft
- Once you’ve downloaded the Tool Connect app, easily pair with the app by holding down the pair button on the tool foot for 3-5 seconds
- Program 3 customized RPM settings for precise speed of application
- Customize the brightness and delay of the integrated LED light
- Integrated blue LED light indicates when your hammer drill is paired with your Tool Connect app
- DEWALT brushless motor delivers up to 75% more run-time vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- Ergonomic comfort grip handle provides ideal balance and comfort
Milwaukee 2702 Vs Dewalt DCD797
In our testing we brought out the Milwaukee 2702-20 brushless drill that we should note is not labeled as a FUEL model. It is just slightly smaller than the new 2706-20, but would be considered compact and in the same class as the DEWALT DCD797. Both tools are very similar in size and performance. The only real factor that separates them in the RPM. The Milwaukee is slightly slower. In our testing, the gearing on the Milwaukee did allow the drill to outperform the DEWALT as far as timeouts, but the DEWALT finished most tasks faster. There is a tradeoff there between power and speed. Ina drill this size, most people would not be using the bits we are and if they are, a few cut outs from the drill would not be a big deal.
One of the things we noticed about the DEWALT drill was the amount of play forward and back in the chuck. It made the drill feel cheaper as there is a significant amount of room the chuck will move back when you make contact with the material. We did find a smaller amount of “slop” in the similar sized Milwaukee, but we did not find this in any of the larger drills.
If you are looking for a nice drill that has the performance to do 90% of all the drilling one would ever need to and you do not want a side handle, this is a great drill to look at. If you use the Tool Connect option or not, it is a nice item to have just in case you might need a feature!
- BATTERY TYPE – LITHIUM ION
- BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY – UP TO 100 FT
- CHUCK SIZE – METAL 1/2″
- CLUTCH SETTINGS – 13
- INTEGRATED BATTERY LIFE – 3 YEARS
- MAX POWER 460 UWO
- MAX RPM 0-2000 RPM
- # OF TOOL CONNECT SETTINGS – 3
- BATTERY SYSTEM – 20V MAX*
- TOOL LENGTH – 7.4 INCHES
- TOOL WEIGHT – 3.6 POUNDS