Join Today
Ridgid
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Turquoise inlay projects

1. Top | #1

Turquoise inlay projects

Hello all. Another question for today.

I've been trying to branch out and today I started thinking about the turquois inlay projects that I see on the web from time to time. I looked it up and it doesn't seem to hard. I wanted to know if anyone has ever tried to make a project with turquoise inlays in it.

Here are some examples if you are unfamiliar with what I am talking about or if I am calling it by a wrong name.

Turquoise inlay projects-600x600_1291388759583-dsc8523.jpg Turquoise inlay projects-il_570xn.522287087_fd7x.jpg Turquoise inlay projects-il_570xn.467877113_2tmr.jpg

Turquoise inlay projects-walnuttur.jpg Turquoise inlay projects-cherry_blossom2.jpg
    Chuck Nichter and farmgirl19 like this.
    You would almost think they were all Canadian.....HAHAHAHA
    ----cdnvet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

3. Top | #2
    That rocks. So how do you finish the face off with turquoise? I know its not the planer
    Any hobby that cost money... Sign me up !

4. Top | #3
    that's one thing I also wanna play with on my scroll saw is inlays...not necessarily the turquoise but just inlays in general...I've always been a bit intimidated by it though....wonder what the cost factor on the turquoise is?? probably wouldn't wanna screw that up to much huh?

5. Top | #4
    wonder what the cost factor on the turquoise is?? probably wouldn't wanna screw that up to much huh?
    Okay, this may sound dumb, but I thought to start off at least....kinda practice, I might try buying a bag for that blue/turquois colored pebbles that you get for aquariums. It might not sparkle like turquois, but it is the same-ish color. If it doesn't work, you aren't out much. Heck, it might look alright too.
    ----cdnvet

6. Top | #5
    This past November William Wells (Bill) gave our woodworking club a demonstration on how he uses turquoise inlay. He has a couple of tables on his web site with turquoise embellishments.Custom Built Table Portfolio by William Wells I don't remember exactly but I think the turquoise cost about $15.00 for two ounces. Bill also demonstrated Sterling silver string inlay which was cool but kind of pricey. During his demo Bill made the comment , how small inlays or embellishments can give a piece of furniture a new look. If you can't find the ground turquoise, contact Bill I am sure he would be happy to help.
    Keith
    Keith July
    www.JulysWoodworks.com
    A proud Veteran owned company

7. Top | #6
    Quote Originally Posted by tugnut1 View Post
    Okay, this may sound dumb, but I thought to start off at least....kinda practice, I might try buying a bag for that blue/turquois colored pebbles that you get for aquariums. It might not sparkle like turquois, but it is the same-ish color. If it doesn't work, you aren't out much. Heck, it might look alright too.
    how would get the small pebbles to stick/fuse together so they dont fall out the bottom of the project though? sounds like a good idea but this part confuses me. because with inlay work you cut through your project on an angle and insert the inlay..how would it work with the small pebbles?

8. Top | #7
    I would crush the pebbles to the size of coarse sand. To hold them into place, use CA glue (super glue).

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    JustSomeGuy likes this.
    ----cdnvet

9. Top | #8
    Still done understand how you flatten the turquoise down?

Sent from my Galaxy S4. misspellings and stupid comments likely.
    Any hobby that cost money... Sign me up !

10. Top | #9
    Quote Originally Posted by tugnut1 View Post
    I would crush the pebbles to the size of coarse sand. To hold them into place, use CA glue (super glue).

that's a pretty good idea actually....I guess you would have to cut the inlay, then mix up the crushed pebbles with the glue right before you put them into the project huh? maybe a strip of wax paper on the bottom of the project taped there with painters tape to help it form the bottom a little nicer and not have the inlay fall through the bottom before it dries??

giver man, your getting me excited about this...now you gotta try it out !!!

11. Top | #10
    The videos that I saw had the pebbles go in first and then the CA glue is dribbled on top.

If I remember when I get home from work, I'll post the video I watched.

JustSomeGuy likes this.
    ----cdnvet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 01-25-2014, 01:24 PM