Join Today
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Replacement of motor bearings in DeWalt DW735 planer

1. Top | #21
    Those should show you the parts I'm talking about. 233 through 237.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

3. Top | #22

Replacement of motor bearings in DeWalt DW735 planer

In this pic, the parts causing the problem are at the bottom right,with the two screws going up through the bottom circular piece into another upper circular piece. Is that correct? The pieces I am referring to are on the threaded shaft in the pic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chuck Nichter; 02-08-2017 at 11:43 AM.

4. Top | #23
    Correct. The chrome post threads up through the bottom set of threads in the piece below the spring but will not match up with the upper threaded piece.

5. Top | #24
    Mike, I think the two female threaded pieces are held in the proper position by the two hex screws and the spring is there to keep them in the proper position by tension and allow some shock absorption when feeding a piece of wood through the planer.
    I think if you thread the first one on then the spring and then the second threaded piece. But the two female pieces should be threaded toward each other tensioning the spring only until you can grasp the whole unit and turn it as a unit. Then you put the two hex screws in to maintain the proper alignment.
    I hope that makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Top | #25
    It makes perfect sense, Chuck. The problem is that it doesn't work. I tried that and it barely takes any spring tension at all to lock the damn thing to the post. Besides that, there can be no spring action because the two pieces which the spring applies pressure to are 'locked' together because they're threaded onto the same post. Envision a bolt with two nuts threaded onto it, say a half inch apart. Can you push the nuts together? Or pull them apart? The spring would be trying to push the two pieces, nuts in this case, apart.

I caved and took all 4 assemblies apart. The cap screws that thread up through the bottom piece and pull the two female threads together have a shoulder. I would get a picture but the planer is out in the shop. ANYWAY... on the three which were undisturbed, the shoulder on the cap screws is seated onto the bottom of the top threaded assembly. Once again, given that the assemblies were undisturbed, I don't understand why they wouldn't simply thread completely onto the post in their undisturbed state.

This thing is kickin' my ass and I don't much care for it. This started out as a relatively simple cleanup exercise. This jobcreep is killin me!

I

7. Top | #26
    Also, wanted you to know I started another thread if you hadn't seen it.

https://www.workshopaddict.com/forum...html#post61654

8. Top | #27
    Select another planer or its accessories here: https://woodworkingcafe.com/best-wood-planers-reviews/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123