Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: stick vs tig vs mig

1. Top | #1

stick vs tig vs mig

For someone who has never welded before, which one is easier to learn to use and easier to develop a reasonable skill level? My primary application would be auto repair - mostly sheet metal and body work, maybe a little frame work.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

3. Top | #2
    Gas shielded Mig is by far the easiest with a decent machine and some reasonable thick practice material. Also one of the more common and versatile "hobby" use out there.
    cdnvet and donnymcarter like this.

4. Top | #3
    I agree with Rubenk especially with the decent machine part. Don't get sucked in and buy a cheap machine because it will diminish your thoughts of ever welding again. Lincoln, Miller, ESAB, Hobart make decent machines. MIG by far is more forgiving and versatile. Take a welding course for just autobody work as it is really worth the dime you spend on it.
    Last edited by cdnvet; 03-06-2015 at 08:09 PM.
    grnspot likes this.
    WHAT IS AN ASKHOLE?

A person who constantly asks for your advice,
    yet always does the exact opposite of what you told them.

5. Top | #4
    MIG without question.....

6. Top | #5
    Mig....

Sent directly from my thoughts using tinfoil antennas and a stainless mixing bowl helmet.

7. Top | #6
    If I can ask who makes a "good"/ "decent" unit and what points would we look for to make it a better choice??
    Learning how to be a woodworker. Pat

My other hobby, Model train modeler.

8. Top | #7
    This Hobart is a great machine.
    http://m.cyberweld.com/hoir230migwe.html
    You can also add a spool gun for aluminum. There are other Hobart machines I would also recommend, but this is a nice machine to learn on and to grow with for years to com.
    http://donnycarter.com/

9. Top | #8
    I have all three. Each has their uses. Well, I have 4 welding setups. I have a gas torch rig too. That was the first welder I got. Then I got a MIG, then I got my stick/TIG. I think there is something being said just in the order that I bought my equipment. If you really want to do it all then it helps to have it all too. For outer panel work which of my welders would I use? TIG no question. Frame work under the vehicle? MIG

Would I sell my gas torch setup today? No. Do I ever use the stick feature of my stick/TIG? Sure. If I had to choose just one of my welders to get by with which would it be? The stick/TIG.
    donnymcarter likes this.

10. Top | #9
    Donny, thanks for that could you perhaps recommend an older/budget friendlier model which I might be able to find used thats in the same category? Also what is the significance of the number at the end of the model # I see 140 180 210 as in your link? Is Hobart a well respected name in welding? How about something like this Lincoln Electric Pro MIG 180 Wire Feed Welder 02 L200174A | eBay
    Last edited by Belg; 03-08-2015 at 08:49 AM.
    Learning how to be a woodworker. Pat

My other hobby, Model train modeler.

11. Top | #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    If I can ask who makes a "good"/ "decent" unit and what points would we look for to make it a better choice??
    The HF MIG is supposed to be a good entry level unit, and can be modified to make it even better. If you are willing to spend several hundred dollars, the mid or upper range Hobarts are good, but I have also heard that the low end Hobarts are about the same as the HF.

Disclaimer: This is all what I have read on other forums, posted by people who claim to know. I have not personally tried any of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast