Join Today
Ryobi
  1. Top | #1

Any way to waterproof particle board?

A good buddy of mine called me yesterday to ask if I knew anyway to waterproof particle board to keep it from disintegrating if and when it gets wet. He is remodeling a house and in doing so, he ripped out the kitchen counters and sink. He would like to use part of the counter top and sink as an outdoor sink next to his bbq pit (under a covered porch).

I told him he could probably use boat sealer or maybe even cover the exposed surfaces with Titebond 3. Is there any way that yall know of to completely seal particle board so that there is zero moisture movement into it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Ryobi 2nd Post

3. Top | #2
    I can tell you that paint, epoxy and undercoating are not options. I have tried sikkens and not had as much issue, but over time, water gets in.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    A.F.S.

On a scale of 1 to 10........ Be an 11.

4. Top | #3
    You could probably waste 50$ worth of sealer on it and it might last for a while. I would apply the money to buying something suited for outdoors myself, particle board and water just do not play well together.
    Does the part he is going to use still have laminate on one side? That would make it easier if you only had to deal with the edges.

5. Top | #4
    It does still have the laminate on the top, that's why he wants to use it. I suggested that he save the sink an make a new counter top out of something that was more water proof.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk