Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 4" flex drain pipe for dust collector.

1. Top | #1

4" flex drain pipe for dust collector.

Recently I was at Home Depot For other reasons then I usually go there for. I came across the drain pipe isle and I needed a 4" hose to come from

my Ridged R4512 dust collection port to my dust collector. That's when I saw this Flex drain 4" x 8' solid drain pipe.

4" flex drain pipe for dust collector.-4dd.jpg

I bought it not knowing if it would work for my system and I figured if it didn't I'd be out $5 bucks no big deal. I also had to buy the 4" hose clamps to hold it in place. I got it home and it worked like a charm and glad I bought it. Here is the link to the product.

FLEX-Drain 4 in. x 8 ft. Polypropylene Solid Pipe-54021 at The Home Depot

FLEX-Drain 4 in. x 25 ft. Polypropylene Pipe-52110D at The Home Depot

I'll show a picture of it later hooked up. When I get back to HD I'll pick up a 25' section ($15.47) to run from the dust collector to anywhere in my

shop. This is a lot cheaper alternative then buying hoses from specialty woodworking shops and sites.

Wayne
    Last edited by WayneT; 09-13-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    Babb, MichaelR, LarryS and 1 others like this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Briannasdecals
    https://www.facebook.com/TaylorGardenDesignsHobby
    Never let your ego over power your common sense.
    If you got it, A truck driver brought it!
    Yes, I suck at English!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

3. Top | #2
    I wish I would have seen this when I set up mine. Nice find.
    WayneT likes this.
    You would almost think they were all Canadian.....HAHAHAHA
    ----cdnvet

4. Top | #3
    I will be checking this out as well, Thanks !

Sent from my iPad

5. Top | #4
    Have you hooked this stuff up yet? Any problems with the suction collapsing the line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Sometimes the creative process requires foul language." -- Charles Neil.

6. Top | #5
    Would there be any static issues with this pipe since it would have extra corrugations that would cause extra surface contact of the saw dust?

7. Top | #6
    I since bought 2-12 foot lengths to go with the 8 foot piece. I had bought earlier and have had no problems yet. The corrugation keeps it from collapsing and it's rated to 75psi. I haven't had any problems with static either. the really only problem is that it is a tight fit and may require some stretching of the end to fit the tool you are using. They also sell couplers and tees for this hose to help in the connections. I have used it on the ridged 4512 saw and on the dewalt 735 planer without problems. Don't forget to tighten your clamp on the 735. If you're a pro user it probably won't be for you. I find this perfect for me the weekend warrior and part time woodworker. I'll get the pictures when I get my shop cleaned up a little.

Wayne
    Last edited by WayneT; 09-16-2014 at 11:33 PM.
    tugnut1, LarryS and Chuck Nichter like this.
    Yes, I suck at English!

8. Top | #7
    I'm in the process of cleaning up my work space. I took two saws, wood stove, the metal lathe since I wasn't going to mess with it to the local auction house. I still have to move the large craftsman jointer that is going on the next trip to the auction since I need all the room I can get. I have a steel welding bench that I have to take to my dads till my son get his house. I did manage to get some pictures of my flex drain pipe that is hooked up to the table saw so here they are. I also have a idea in my head about a folding workbench I might want to run by somebody that know how to do sketchup maybe send them a drawing that's floating around in my head..lol

Here is my Harbor freight dust collector

4" flex drain pipe for dust collector.-img_20140919_134701.jpg

Connection of my flex hose to the flex drain pipe. The flex drain pipe connection is in the flex hose off the dust collector. I could hook it up to dust collector direct via the Y connection.
    4" flex drain pipe for dust collector.-img_20140919_134651.jpg

This is a 12 foot section of the flex drain pipe. The 8 foot section is hooked to the saw dust pan of the table saw.
    4" flex drain pipe for dust collector.-img_20140919_134644.jpg

I used a double male adapter here to join the two 12 foot sections together. It is a pretty tight fit so no clamps needed
    4" flex drain pipe for dust collector.-img_20140919_145444.jpg

Snaking thru to the table saw.
    4" flex drain pipe for dust collector.-img_20140919_145504.jpg

The benefit of the corrugated flex hose is it will hold almost any shape and position you can put it in. Any question just ask. I contacted the mfg of the flex drain pipe to see if they might want to adapt this for the woodworking community. Still waiting to hear back...lol. The flex drain pipe is manufactured in Cleveland, TN.
    Last edited by WayneT; 09-19-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    MichaelR and Chuck Nichter like this.
    Yes, I suck at English!

9. Top | #8
    Checking in to say the flex drain works great and I plan on buying more to outfit the shop with. It hooked up to the drum sander without issues and works great. If you use it make sure you get enough double male connectors to hook up your tools to your dust collector. I haven't had any issues with static or clogging using the flex-drain either.

Wayne
    JustSomeGuy likes this.
    Yes, I suck at English!

10. Top | #9
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
    Checking in to say the flex drain works great and I plan on buying more to outfit the shop with. It hooked up to the drum sander without issues and works great. If you use it make sure you get enough double male connectors to hook up your tools to your dust collector. I haven't had any issues with static or clogging using the flex-drain either.

Wayne
    good to know for when we set up out dust collector...

11. Top | #10
    Wayne - I'm designing the DC the new shop and was thinking about using some of this stuff for the connections between the tools and the ducts. In doing some research on system design, Grizzly's manuals specifically say that corrugated pipe has higher ridges on the inside of the pipe, which causes air to slow when it goes over them, resulting in loss of static pressure. Not sure how noticeable that would be, but their manual says that flexible dust collection pipe is designed to be smoother on the inside of the pipe, resulting in less impedance of the air flow. Not sure any loss of static pressure would be worth the price differential between the DC-specific hose and the drain pipe....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Sometimes the creative process requires foul language." -- Charles Neil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast