Join Today
Hitachi
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Epoxy Garage Floor

1. Top | #11
    Quote Originally Posted by 1paulfx View Post
    A buddy of mine owned a gas station, and his floor was trashed. We scrubbed it with muratic acid, and it was fine. A word to the wise, get some kind of a respirator mask for the fumes. We didn't and I thought I ate away about half of my lungs with the fumes.
    Another point, if your floor has been washed and sealed, the acid wash is a must so it will bond. A friend of mine does concrete pads which includes stamping, colouring, etc. for a living, and he says do the acid wash, then repair any defects and then put down the epoxy.

Also be sure you take your time and pick the right colour because once it is done it is a pain in the rump to change.
    WHAT IS AN ASKHOLE?

A person who constantly asks for your advice,
    yet always does the exact opposite of what you told them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Hitachi 2nd Post

3. Top | #12
    Thanks for all the input guys. Lots to think about.

A quote from my late grandfather, "I better go do something, even if it is wrong."
    cdnvet likes this.

4. Top | #13
    That reminds me of a job I was on in construction. I was helping a mason epoxy seal coat a fan room one day, and he was quite the expert. In fact I was told by others that he handled all of the union's epoxy seal coating jobs in the entire state. He had been doing that for the past about 20 years by the time I bumped into him. Well anyways, long story short, this fellow was pretty used to the process, so he was rather ambivalent when it came to safety equipment. Immediately when I walked into the room he was coating I was bowled over by the fumes. The first thing I said when I looked at the guy was, don't you wear a mask when you apply this stuff?

He mumbled something incoherent about leaving his mask in his truck. Then he said he'd left his reading glasses in his truck, and would I be so kind as to read what it said on a bucket. Bear in mind that these buckets were labeled in block letters about 4 inches tall, either A, or B. This guy had so few brain cells left in his head that he couldn't make it out!

Definitely use an organic solvent filter canister mask applying the epoxy. Unless you want to spend the rest of your life signing your name backwards, or something. Maybe the amateur stuff isn't so strong? I wouldn't risk it myself though. The fumes off some epoxies can really knock you for a loop.

5. Top | #14
    Just be careful when laying epoxy, it really needs to be done by professionals for a good finish. If you have any questions please feel free to visit our website and we would love to help. We also have a blog with useful information. www.a1epoxyflooring.com/melbourne

6. Top | #15
    I know this thread is over 4 years old, but I thought I'd throw my little tidbit in here anyway.
    I worked on a new home a few years ago and the owner had a new garage / shop put in.
    After the concrete set up for 90 days, he coated it with a 2 part polyurethane coating.

I can't remember the name of the stuff, but it was something like Poly Seal, or Ure-Seal, something like that.
    It came on a pallet & there was a part A & a part B.
    It was so potent, you could see the vapors coming off it when the buckets were opened.
    2 five gallon buckets came 1/2 full, so you could mix it & have 5 gallons.
    After it was mixed, it was poured out & leveled with a rubber squeegee.
    It couldn't be rolled or painted on because it was so thick.

The guys putting it on were wearing Tyvex moon suits, and had air tanks like firemen wear.
    The fumes came off that stuff for weeks afterwards. The owner couldn't walk on it for a week, and it was a month before
    he could drive on it. He did the floor in a light gray color.

I went by his house a couple of months ago to install a few circuits in the garage, and the floor still looked like brand new.
    Any oil spills sat on the surface until they were cleaned up. Not even a stain on it after 5-6 years.

If anyone is thinking of having this done, definitely hire someone to do it correctly.

7. Top | #16
    Twice that. I would highly suggest professional installation. I have done it myself with ok results but have had a local company do it that specializes in floor coatings and the difference is night and day.
    Still looks fresh today. I would think a self-applied product would also work well, but it is a lot of work, judging from the effort my professional installers made. Further, there was pitting and cracking in my concrete floor that had to first be repaired. My installers did a fine job, and I would spend the money to do it all over again.

8. Top | #17
    From experience of having a concrete floor in my house when we built it because we will add on later and the part we live in now will be the garage...if you want to epoxy don't use the cheap stuff. We used a cheap epoxy for the house and in the kitchen area it's wearing, chipping, and pealing like crazy and we have only been in there 3 years next month. The trouble started within the first year. When we built a shop we got epoxy from the place we got the concrete and it's holding up much much better. Car traffic vs foot traffic. The garage has been about 2 years now and when it's clean you can hardly tell it isn't new.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12