Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Gadgetguy
  • 1 Post By sir_malaki
  • 3 Post By Gadgetguy
  • 1 Post By LarryS

Thread: New from Colorado

1. Top | #1

New from Colorado

Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a fireplace installer by trade but have been welding for a couple years now as a profession and just bought a house with a decent sized garage. I'm looking to fire up a side business that maybe (hopefully) can turn into a full time gig. I will be focusing on building furniture, mirror frames, wall art etc and possibly small handrail jobs but hoping to keep it at a level where I don't have to hire anybody to help me. Slowly collecting tools but I just got 240v in the garage and the welder is fired up so I'm well on my way! I've been lurking a bit for a couple weeks and I like what this place has to offer so it was time to sign up. Thanks for having me everyone! I've attached photos of some of the work I've done, I did not design them but I did the fabrication.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New from Colorado-20160127_093319.jpg   New from Colorado-20160222_113300.jpg   New from Colorado-20160408_091357.jpg  
    LarryS and cdnvet like this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Milwaukee Second Post

3. Top | #2
    Welcome to the group and excellent work.

What type of welding do you mainly use? I guess TIG for the best looking results on those rails. I'd hate to have to get a grinder into some of those area's.
    Gadgetguy likes this.
    I'm not an angry person! Stupid people just piss me off constantly.

4. Top | #3
    Welcome to the forum Gadgetguy.
    Thanks for joining us here.
    My Friends call me Gary ~ wait ~ I don't have any friends.

5. Top | #4
    Welcome to the forum my friend.
    ASKHOLE

A person who constantly asks for your advice,
    yet always does the exact opposite of what you told them.

6. Top | #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_malaki View Post
    Welcome to the group and excellent work.

What type of welding do you mainly use? I guess TIG for the best looking results on those rails. I'd hate to have to get a grinder into some of those area's.
    Very carefully done mig welds mostly. I've gotten my welds to look pretty good so the inside welds were left alone aside from cleaning up bb's etc. but the outside edges were ground smooth for a clean look. If the customer decided they wanted them clean clean clean then it cost more and we went after everything with a die grinder if we couldn't get at it with an angle grinder. We always brought a sample with us and asked if there were any requests, and at times there were.

7. Top | #6
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I see a lot of neat projects going on here and I will definitely be picking your brains on how to set up my shop as time goes on. I'm looking at ordering a planer this week, deciding between the DW734 and the DW735.... One tool at a time!

8. Top | #7
    Here are some pics of the stairs, I've lost some progress pics over time. That was a fun project, floating cantilevered stairs wrapped in Black Walnut. The heart was a "locks of love" project at a bed and breakfast. The idea was people who stayed their could purchase a lock and have their initials engraved on it, then place the lock on the heart and throw away the key to signify their love. One of my favorites as well. We made it so it could swivel on its base.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New from Colorado-stairs1.jpg   New from Colorado-stairs2.jpg   New from Colorado-heart.jpg  
    Brian, LarryS and sir_malaki like this.

9. Top | #8
    Looks awesome

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    A.F.S.

On a scale of 1 to 10........ Be an 11.

10. Top | #9
    Welcome to the forum Gadgetguy!!

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Great job on all!!
    Gadgetguy likes this.