Join Today
Ryobi
  1. Top | #1

I知 building The BIG tiny house!

So I’m going to start this off with a bang! I know ya’ll haven’t heard from me in a couple of years so here’s the scoop! The last time I posted I was remodeling a kitchen in my last house. I finished it and I posted updated pictures and “killed” the thread. Life happened. But I’m BACK!... for whoever cares about that lol. So moving on. I had this little apartment right? No thanks. My GF has and old farmhouse. Etc. etc. I started staying over there more and more. A while back I was trying to figure out what to do with my apartment and all my stuff. I had a lot of nice stuff btw. I built all my own furniture, had a ton of just, THINGS. I don’t care about things. So I sold EVERYTHING. I mean everything except my clothes, guns, and tools. Moved in with her full time in a little town called Pleasant Hope. Then, I found 11 acres in Pleasant Hope. SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING?

Before all of this, and I mean before everything, before I even got out of the army in 2011, I have always wanted a Tiny House. I’ve been obsessed with them. The ones on wheels, not on wheels, tiny homes in the woods, tiny homes in Alaska, tiny homes in the desert, all of them! I think they’re all cool. SO I said screw it I’m going to build one on this land I bought. So I started building one in February of 2018. There was snow on the ground. I carried a case of miller lite and a chainsaw into the middle of the woods and said “I want to build a house right here!” and so I started cutting. Then I’d take a swig of miller lite. Then I’d cut some more. Then I went home and hand drew what I wanted my home to look like. It had one bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, and living room. And this is where it all began. I took most of that money from selling all that stuff and bought enough lumber to build a 28ftx10ft tiny house frame. I didn’t have a driveway when I did this and the field was so muddy that I had to carry all this lumber to my building site back into the woods by hand. It took me 2 days of packing lumber into the woods. Then half a day to make a little shelter for my tools. And I started building. Sorry for explaining all of the drama to start off but stick with me here, I’m just trying to tell the whole story.

So then my buddy comes out with his tractor with an auger attachment and we dig the holes and build the frame. I’m committed now. Then he leaves. And I frame this entire building by myself from the ground, to the roof.

Time goes on and I work on it as much as I possibly can. Doing things here and there. One day me and Whitney (the better half of me) are having one hell of a conversation. We decide to make this OUR HOME instead of just my home. How cool is that? HOWEVER... This amazing woman has 3 children. ALL GIRLS. Yes I said THREE. So the house is too small. Time to add on. This is when the name for the home was adopted. THE BIG tiny.

So it’s back to the ground work. I then (with my case of miller lite in hand) draw up some plans and add yet another building to the small building. 25ftx12 wide. To add another bathroom, three rooms, laundry room, and another living room. Wait what? How did you fit all that in that space? That is a normal question I am asked. So I’m going to go ahead and shut up and give some specs. My county not regulated by building codes. The only thing my county regulates is septic systems.

850 sqft
    4 bedrooms
    2 bathrooms
    1 kitchen
    2 small living areas
    1 laundry room

3 of the bedrooms are lofts, one is on the main floor.
    The only people that will work on this other than me are the guy that hauls gravel for my driveway, well driller, and septic guy.
    We are going to for rustic modern I think?
    Using a lot of reclaim and also new material.

I’m actually almost completed with this project. But I’ll continue to add as we go here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by taylorfain2009; 12-22-2019 at 12:30 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

3. Top | #2
    Now onto the base that was built

4. Top | #3
    Onto framing

5. Top | #4
    More framing, window building, roofing and continuation

6. Top | #5
    Just trying to do this in order. CHEERS

7. Top | #6
    Still going

8. Top | #7
    I rented a bobcat and excavated my own driveway. Then hauled in some rock

9. Top | #8
    i guess i crashed the app uploading a ton of pictures.... will add more later! Still have a bunch to add!