Join Today
Hitachi
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sandman

Thread: Toilet doesn't flush fully

1. Top | #1

Toilet doesn't flush fully

I am a new homeowner. My 2nd-floor toilet has recently started showing this problem where it often doesn't flush properly in a single attempt. It makes a weird gurgle sound or something close to it and doesn't flush fully.
    When I flush again it does flush fully in the 2nd or 3rd attempts. Please suggest what could be the issue and how to resolve it. (It's a Saniflo Macerating Upflush Toilet)
    Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Hitachi 2nd Post

3. Top | #2
    I'm not a plumber but to me sounds like you may have a venting issue. It shouldn't gurgle, and it takes multiple "breathes" to flush. It sounds like it vent is choked off and can't pull enough air in to replace what the flush takes out.

With this being an up-flush it should be easier to check the vent since you don't have to get on the roof. It could also be an issue with the macerator pump. It may not be grinding the wast up small enough or not spinning fast enough to pump it up high enough.

Does it do this with both solids or both solids and liquids?
    ... I didn't do it!

4. Top | #3
    Solids and liquids both

5. Top | #4
    Quote Originally Posted by stifendozon View Post
    I am a new homeowner. My 2nd-floor toilet has recently started showing this problem where it often doesn't flush properly in a single attempt. It makes a weird gurgle sound or something close to it and doesn't flush fully.
    When I flush again it does flush fully in the 2nd or 3rd attempts. Please suggest what could be the issue and how to resolve it. (It's a Saniflo Macerating Upflush Toilet)
    Thanks!
    My first thought is that this is a hard water problem and you're having some mineralisation build up around your ball flapper. Alternatively there could be calcification or buildup in the tank valve itself. This would explain why your first flush is weak and your subsequent flush is sufficient to make everything go down. Your ball flapper is probably slowly leaking water as the tank sets which diminishes the overall first flush volume but when you make your second flush you have not had sufficient time to lose water from the tank and you have a full volume flush.

The simplest cheapest route replace your ball flapper probably runs five five to ten bucks.
    brakeshoe1 likes this.

6. Top | #5
    Likely one of the "water saver" toilets that take three flushes to do the job.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk