Join Today
Milwaukee
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Cabin at the Farm

1. Top | #1

Smile Cabin at the Farm

Decided to start a separate thread on my cabin build!

I've wanted to build a cabin there for some time, but it didn't feel right to do it until the farm belonged to me. Mom wouldn't have cared, although I would have been working against myself when it came time to settle her estate after her passing. When she died a couple years ago I needed to finish the CRP program which had already been in the works, not knowing what the seeding costs would be. I wanted all farm expences to come from the farm income. The CRP seeding was done early this spring, so it was time to start on the cabin project, finally!

I've cleared the sod & packed in a 1" gravel base material for the cabin to set on: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-040.jpg

This will be the view from the front porch: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2016-067.jpg

At one time, I would have built the entire structure myself, but age & fatigue have slowed me down enough, I decided to hire out the basic structure. I looked over some of the pre-made buildings in the area, some good, some not so good! So I called a friend of mine who has done construction & was a state inspector (now retired) to see if he knew of anybody in the nearby Amish community the builds portable buildings. He told me of one he knew personally, so the same afternoon the wife & I made the 20 mile trip to the builder's farm. Talked it over with him & ordered a 12' x 24' lofted cabin with 6' front porch (one of the things I didn't like was the 4' porches on the pre-made ones).

Last week, the wife wanted to go to an greenhouse near the builder's farm, so we made a side trip to check the progress, south (porch) end: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-046.jpg

The west side will have two windows & the north end one window: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-047.jpg

The east side will have two shorter windows side by side over a "kitchen" counter: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-048.jpg

It will be painted a tan color with Hunter green metal roof.

This is a one man operation & he works two day/week at an Amish produce auction, so it's not going too fast, but hopefully, he'll have it ready for delivery in the next week or so!
    LarryS, rfwjr, BuckeyeFan and 1 others like this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Milwaukee Second Post

3. Top | #2
    Looking forward to more!!
    grnspot likes this.

4. Top | #3
    A side-note on the cabin builder: In about 1958, I would have been 7 years old at the time, Dad had an Amish teenager working for him on the farm for about a year. He would ride his horse (or buggy) to our house, usually on Sunday evening & stay the week with us. During that time a friend of his came with him to work for (I think) a couple weeks by the nickname of Atley (sp?). Fast forward a few decades; I was at a tractor show in nearby Jamesport, MO (one of the first Amish settlements in MO) with Dad's JD 720D: Cabin at the Farm-chillicothe-2004-165-copy.jpg

I had an easel set up with early pictures of the tractor & a copy of the original sales paperwork with Dad's name on it. I saw an Amish fellow reading the paperwork, then looked around & saw me, came over & introduced himself as "Atlas" & that he had worked for Dad years earlier. He told me Dad was talking about buying a new tractor at that time & he never though he'd get to see it, it was the 720D!

I had told a friend of mine from Jamesport the story & he told me this would have been the cabin builder's father. Sure enough, while I was talking with the builder last week, he brought up that he'd told his father who he was building the cabin for & his father told him he'd worked for my Dad!
    Last edited by grnspot; 05-01-2017 at 05:07 PM.
    LarryS and BuckeyeFan like this.

5. Top | #4
    What a view. Congratulations!
    grnspot likes this.
    A.F.S.

On a scale of 1 to 10........ Be an 11.

6. Top | #5
    Quote Originally Posted by grnspot View Post
    A side-note on the cabin builder: In about 1958, I would have been 7 years old at the time, Dad had an Amish teenager working for him on the farm for about a year. He would ride his horse (or buggy) to our house, usually on Sunday evening & stay the week with us. During that time a friend of his came with him to work for (I think) a couple weeks by the nickname of Atley (sp?). Fast forward a few decades; I was at a tractor show in nearby Jamesport, MO (one of the first Amish settlements in MO) with Dad's JD 720D: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chillicothe 2004 165 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	734.6 KB 
ID:	16659

I had an easel set up with early pictures of the tractor & a copy of the original sales paperwork with Dad's name on it. I saw an Amish fellow reading the paperwork, then looked around & saw me, came over & introduced himself as "Atlas" & that he had worked for Dad years earlier. He told me Dad was talking about buying a new tractor at that time & he never though he'd get to see it, it was the 720D!

I had told a friend of mine from Jamesport the story & he told me this would have been the cabin builder's father. Sure enough, while I was talking with the builder last week, he brought up that he'd told his father who he was building the cabin for & his father told him he'd worked for my Dad!
    Great story. It's interesting to meet people from your relative's past. I've had similar occasions when meeting some people in the church community. My grandfather was a minister in this area long before I was born. He moved out of the area but my father stayed. Now, in my 30's, I've met many people who went to my grandfather's church during that time. For me, it has always been great to meet these people which my grandfather had some impact on their lives and get to hear their stories about him.
    Brian, LarryS, grnspot and 1 others like this.

7. Top | #6
    Looking forward to the progress

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    grnspot likes this.

8. Top | #7
    Checked on the cabin progress this afternoon, still has the lofts to put in, window trim & front porch railings, said the 4 x 4's he had on hand for the porch posts didn't suit him, he has more coming. Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-061.jpg Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-060.jpg Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-063.jpg Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-062.jpg

He plans to deliver next week!
    LarryS, sir_malaki and BuckeyeFan like this.

9. Top | #8
    Got the call I've been waiting for this morning, cabin's coming tomorrow!
    Brian, LarryS, JustSomeGuy and 2 others like this.

10. Top | #9
    About 8:30 this morning, right on time: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-065.jpg It was on the trailer backwards, so they unloaded it twice: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-067.jpg Backed it into place: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-070.jpg Up & off: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-071.jpg And in place: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-072.jpg Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-073.jpg Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-074.jpg

11. Top | #10
    Back today to skirt the cabin & build the ramp to the end of the porch, steps facing the door will come later. Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-076.jpg

Some pics inside & the view from the inside: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-077.jpg Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-078.jpg To the west: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-079.jpg And the east: Cabin at the Farm-farm-2017-080.jpg

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast