Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: kitchen remodel

1. Top | #1

kitchen remodel

so I guess my wife didn't think I had enough on my plate working 9 hour days at my new job, renovating my sister in-laws house, and trying to get a crapload of my scroll saw orders finished up.....so she decided it was time for a new kitchen for us. I have remodeled our entire house now except this room...so I guess it was bound to happen.first all it was is that my wife wanted to sand down the old cabinets and just paint them. after explaining to her that they were laminate and pealing off the outer skin of them and trying to sand and pain would not work, after she started peeling and tried to sand for herself she realized I was right (which for some reason she never believes me, even when she knows i'm right she will fight me to the end) so then it turned into me making up new cabinets. I was going to make them out of maple but she wants white cabinets and demanded on going with melamine ~again another fight that I lost~ as I like real wood and not that sawdust and glue crap...but whatever.....after that it turned into making an even more open concept house and ripping out a wall between our kitchen and entertaining area. the entertaining area was already 20 feet by 21 feet. now with combining the kitchen into the mix it's going to be 35 feet long and 20 feet wide... I ran into a few snags but all in all it's going pretty good so far. half of the entire mainfloor of our house had 1 inch tongue and groove boards under the drywall which made it a bit more time consuming for the rip out. the wall that I ripped out had a couple water lines in it for our upper bathroom vanity and toilet, also there was a couple heating vents in the wall as well that I had to reroute . so after a couple days of planning, rerouting all that stuff I got my bulkheads made and drywalled..you can see in the pics a couple pillars which are supports that could not be moved so build them as best as I could...now back to the kitchen and learning how to build kitchen cabinets lol...I've never played much with melamine before so this is going to be a good learning experience. i'll post more pics as the room comes together more.

I would also LOVE to hear any advice that you experienced kitchen guys have to offer as I know there are some very very talented kitchen guys here that I would really like to hear from !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitchen remodel-858.jpg   kitchen remodel-503.jpg   kitchen remodel-958.jpg   kitchen remodel-543.jpg   kitchen remodel-631.jpg  

mjncad and LarryS like this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

3. Top | #2
    my first set of pics didn't upload for some reason...
    kitchen remodel-218.jpgkitchen remodel-922.jpgkitchen remodel-949.jpgkitchen remodel-730.jpg
    mjncad, LarryS and russhaynes like this.

4. Top | #3
    ooo and hey...check out this awesome wiring job I found in the back of my cabinets (unfortunately I knew this was there before but I refused to deal with it because I knew the outcome was going to be ripping the kitchen apart...ain't it nice that they at least grounded the wire to the COLD WATER LINE lol....ripped from one plug ran through all the lower cabinets under the sink and they punched a hole in the wall and hooked up a outlet...what a bunch of idiots...well that's just another job to add to the list lol..

kitchen remodel-357.jpgkitchen remodel-434.jpg

5. Top | #4
    Wow! Glad it's you and not me. Looks like the wife and kids had some fun knocking that wall out though.
    From what I can see it looks like you've got a great start on it. That sure opened it up too. Keep us posted on your progress and thanks for the pics! Mike
    "May your life be filled with quality shop time and an unending amount of lumber" Author J Miller

You can follow my work at Underground Woodworking - https://www.facebook.com/UndergroundWoodworking

6. Top | #5
    Wow, what a big project. Especially with everything else you've go going. As far as melamine cabinets go I have a couple of suggestions. I have just finished the lower cabinets for our kitchen using melamine. First, get cabinet grade from a lumber supply and not from the big box store. Second is to accurately mark a centerline for the screws so they will be properly centered and to predrill and countersink every screw hole. I had ordered some special screws with a drill tip and self sinking flat head that are supposed to be for melamine but they still caused splitting and the heads did not sink flush. FWIW I built a stand for my router table from melamine 7 years ago and drag it all over the shop. I put it together with sheetrock screws and it's still as tight as the day I did it. Anyway, have fun with your kitchen. I'll bet it will look great.

Bill
    It's not a mistake, it's an opportunity for design change.

7. Top | #6
    Remodeling a Kitchen is alot of work but will be rewarding at the finish.
    Some people just don't realize the hazards the cause when they don't know what there doing when wiring like that.
    Glad your going to get it wired the right way.
    Good Luck with all !!
    JustSomeGuy likes this.

8. Top | #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Babb View Post
    Wow, what a big project. Especially with everything else you've go going. As far as melamine cabinets go I have a couple of suggestions. I have just finished the lower cabinets for our kitchen using melamine. First, get cabinet grade from a lumber supply and not from the big box store. Second is to accurately mark a centerline for the screws so they will be properly centered and to predrill and countersink every screw hole. I had ordered some special screws with a drill tip and self sinking flat head that are supposed to be for melamine but they still caused splitting and the heads did not sink flush. FWIW I built a stand for my router table from melamine 7 years ago and drag it all over the shop. I put it together with sheetrock screws and it's still as tight as the day I did it. Anyway, have fun with your kitchen. I'll bet it will look great.

Bill
    thanks bill,

I was planning on predrilling and pre countersinking every screw hole because yes I feared about the melamine splitting or cracking or chipping with every damn screw I put into it lol...like I said I have never worked with this crap before so I am a bit intimidated by it lol....but with ALOT of patience and reading and some great advice from my friends on this site i'm hoping I can conquer this mountain

9. Top | #8
    That wiring looks like something my old-man would do.

Sorry to hear your wife wants white cabinets. We have them and I had them in my previous house. They do make a room look bigger; but if anyone is remotely a slob, they are next to impossible to keep clean. I won't have white cabinets again if I can help it. Melamine is durable; but as you've found out, it does chip easily.
    I've moved on to mature greener pastures free of the NSA.

10. Top | #9
    Good luck on the remodel and get the wiring fixed right.

Wayne
    https://www.facebook.com/Briannasdecals
    https://www.facebook.com/TaylorGardenDesignsHobby
    Never let your ego over power your common sense.
    If you got it, A truck driver brought it!
    Yes, I suck at English!

11. Top | #10
    well ive managed to get a bit of work done between all the pre op doc apt's with my sons upcoming surgery, working 10 hour days, and having a cracked rib...lol....I got the wiring fixed up, new stove wire ran, got drywall on one of the walls, and just installed the new window yesterday...things are starting to come together a bit. almost time to rip out that sink and start building the cabinets....man the wiring in this house is horrible, over the years you can see all the people who have screwed around and none of them knew what they were doing lol....but I ran some dedicated runs just for the kitchen and i'm slowly fixing all that mess as I work on each room in this house..

kitchen remodel-20141010_101229-1.jpgkitchen remodel-20141010_101233-1.jpgkitchen remodel-20141010_161424.001-2.jpgkitchen remodel-20141010_161431-1.jpg
    mjncad, LarryS and Chuck Nichter like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast