Join Today
Ryobi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: The New Fire Pit!!

1. Top | #1

The New Fire Pit!!

For the last few years we've been using one of the store bought fire pits, actually purchased for us. It was an expensive little model. Well as we all know these things seem to break down pretty fast. The screen cover was completely gone and the legs are rusty. Plus these little guys are not very user friendly when wanting to cook on an open fire. So it was time I built the cinder block fire pit I've wanted. Simple, clean and efficient! All-in all I'm happy and I've spent around $50.

In this pic, I dug out an area and stacked the cinder blocks in the form I wanted. A lower level for higher heat cooking! I re-used the grate in the bottom of the old pit and raised it up on bricks. The (3) cinder blocks in the back on the bottom are also re-used. I laid (2) blocks on their sides on each side of the pit so the holes were exposed for air to get to the fire. With the blocks like this you can also control your fire by covering the holes partially or all the way. Use them as a damper like on a wood stove.
    The New Fire Pit!!-fp.jpg

In this pic, Im adding the cinder block caps and digging around the sides to add a few cinder block caps in the ground to kind of neaten up the pit. When I was designing the pit, I decided to go against staggering the blocks. Yes this leaves it a little less stable, but as we all know cinder blocks wont last long with the intense heat. Eventually cracks will happen. Leaving them this way will make for easy replacement for damaged ones. Staggering would have made it a process to change out.
    The New Fire Pit!!-fp-1.jpg

So here is the pit, finished up. I used landscapers cloth under the caps on the ground. Filled with tube sand and laid stone for a clean look!
    The New Fire Pit!!-fp-2.jpg

Here's the pit in action with it's first burn of the year! Next will be grates for cooking!
    The New Fire Pit!!-fp-3.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Ridgid 2nd Post

3. Top | #2
    Thats cool. O like the 2 blocks turned sideways to let in combustion air.
    A.F.S.

On a scale of 1 to 10........ Be an 11.

4. Top | #3
    That is really nice !!

I can see cooking a pot of chili on that !!

5. Top | #4
    Ditto on the Chili ! Nice job !

Sent from my iPad
    Cool Tool Shed and LarryS like this.

6. Top | #5
    Nice job Chris! So no mortar? You just stacked the blocks. How will the grates be held up? Mike

sent with my android tablet
    "May your life be filled with quality shop time and an unending amount of lumber" Author J Miller

You can follow my work at Underground Woodworking - https://www.facebook.com/UndergroundWoodworking

7. Top | #6
    Nice pit.The caps on and around the pit and the stone clean it up alot.Good work.

8. Top | #7
    Thanks for the compliments guys! I really like it!

Nice job Chris! So no mortar? You just stacked the blocks. How will the grates be held up? Mike
    Mike no mortar. It's only 28" high with the caps. Not real worried about it coming apart unless someone decides to be a jackass and tries to knock it over. Plus once they start to breakdown, they will be easy to replace. Also if I decide to move it, it should be fairly easy.

9. Top | #8
    I really like that idea with the blocks sideways for a damper GREAT idea !!

10. Top | #9
    Mmmm....I am sensing a pig roast in the near future. That is a nice set up to put in a rotisserie. Mmmmm....barbeque.
    WHAT IS AN ASKHOLE?

A person who constantly asks for your advice,
    yet always does the exact opposite of what you told them.

11. Top | #10
    @MichaelR - Sorry, the grates will have to be special made and will just lay across the blocks when I cook!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast