Join Today
Ridgid
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sir_malaki

Thread: Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.

1. Top | #1

Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.

Not sure where to put this, so I'll just put it under Misc. DIY - it falls under lathe work/repair, metalworking, and woodworking.

I was given a Craftsman 12" wood lathe last fall, and it only came with a dead center tailstock and a drive spur. I can't find the MT1 (morse taper 1) tailstock quill, the threaded holder for it. So I got a piece of 10"x3/4" stainless round stock from a local metal recycler for $.50 and made my own.

First threaded about three inches to jam a couple nuts on to hold in the vise, through drilled, rough tapped one end with a step bit, reamed to MT1, finished threading (3/4x16), then cut a 1/4" keyway/flat spot for the quill lock screw.

I still have to make the handle portion around the adjustment nut, that will be made from scrap plywood. Then build a heavy, weighted beam style stand for the lathe. Chips build up too much when its bolted to the bench.

Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-1-960x1280-.jpg Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-2-960x1280-.jpg Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-3-960x1280-.jpg

Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-4-960x1280-.jpg Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-5-960x1280-.jpg Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-6-960x1280-.jpg

Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-7-960x1280-.jpg Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-8-1280x960-.jpg Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-9-1280x960-.jpg

Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-10-1280x960-.jpg Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-11-1280x960-.jpg

Here it is with the new live center, and new Nova G3 chuck installed.

Custome Wood Lathe Upgrade Parts.-12-1280x960-.jpg

I choose to do an MT1 quill because that is what the head has. This way I can put the drill chuck, or any MT1 tool, into both ends of the lathe. After threading that S.S. rod I wish I had a metal lathe. Not sure what kind of S.S. it is but its hard and my hands are sore. I just made sure to use a new sharp die and a LOT of tap fluid.
    LarryS and Teknojunge like this.
    I'm not an angry person! Stupid people just piss me off constantly.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Ridgid 2nd Post

3. Top | #2
    Great Job!!

Looks like you put alot of time in the lathe and now your ready to turn!!

Looking forward to seeing some projects that come off of the lathe!!

4. Top | #3
    Nice work!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk