Join Today
Ryobi
  1. Top | #1

Air compressor pipe

I bought my air compressor used and it has always had a slow leak in it. It never bothered me much as long as I remembered to turn it off when I wasn't using it. However, since I have hauled it a few places after the storm to fix and rebuild fences for friends and family, the leak has gotten significantly bigger. So much so, that it can no longer fully charge and just stays running. I took it apart this weekend, and found that the pipe running from the tank to the regulator/switch had a crack at the threads and trying to unscrew it resulted in breaking it off at the threads. I drilled out the broken piece and plan on retapping the threads in the tank. My question is, what kind of pipe should I use to replace it, i.e. brass, copper, galvanized, etc.? The pipe that broke was either aluminum or galvanized and it was soft enough that a pair of channel lock pliers gouged it when I took it off.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Ridgid 2nd Post

3. Top | #2
    I'd contact the company that made it if possible. They might send you a replacement for free.
    Barring that, I'd go with what was there originally. It's probably a safety feature.

4. Top | #3
    Its a Husky from Home Depot, but since I am not the original owner, any warranty there was would have been voided. The guy I bought it from had replaced it once before as well with a factory part, so it seems to be a problem with that particular part. I think I'll replace it with a black iron pipe, seems like that should be strong enough and it should only be a couple of bucks from the hardware store.

5. Top | #4
    my Devibis ProAir II 60 Gallon uses a short galvanized pipe and its a two-stage high pressure (175psi) model.
    ... I didn't do it!

6. Top | #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_malaki View Post
    my Devibis ProAir II 60 Gallon uses a short galvanized pipe and its a two-stage high pressure (175psi) model.
    Every thing I've read says to avoid galvanized pipe if possible due to it flaking off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk