Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Opinions On A New Drill

1. Top | #11
    Quote Originally Posted by donnymcarter View Post
    I haven't seen them, but will take a look!Thanks!
    A.F.S.

On a scale of 1 to 10........ Be an 11.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

3. Top | #12
    A bit of food for thought----Makita is just about the only brand that has not been sold, merged, or otherwise messed with through all the tool industry.
    donnymcarter likes this.

4. Top | #13
    Quote Originally Posted by donnymcarter View Post
    Hey gang, I'm in the market for a new compact drill/driver. I've looked at a few of the 12v units out there. Mainly the Ridgid units, but I'm open to any brand. Any help, tips, or ideas would be great. Thanks!
    Ridgid has one thing going for it. Every tool they ever made takes the same battery. At least it used to.
    Not many companies can say or do that these days.
    That said, I prefer my Dewalts. I take care of them & usually put them pack in the case when I'm done with them.
    They are ubiquitous and easy to find. I just bought a new one (in another thread) to replace my old 3/8" chuck model.
    I got the newer LiOn 1/2" chuck model on sale at Lowes after Christmas for 33% off.

So far, it's a superior drill compared to my old one.
    Hope this helps.
    donnymcarter likes this.

5. Top | #14
    I know I'm late responding to this thread but just trying to be helpful. I purchased a Rigid 18 volt 1/2" drill a few years ago. After a year or 2, I began having problems with the trigger and also 1 of the batteries. I took it to the service center (vender) with the charger. The guy told me he would order parts but it would take a little while to get them in. They were unable to get the parts after 3-4 weeks so he called Home Depot and asked them what to do. The manager told me to bring everything back and he would give me a new drill. The new one had a promo going at the time and it came with a sawzall. I offered to pay for the sawzall but the manager said no problem, that's the way they are packaged. A couple years later I purchased a 18 volt 1/2" drill and 1/4" impact driver set. I have used the impact quite a bit driving 3" deck screws. While replacing deck boards, the impact stopped impacting. I took it back to HD, (the vender closed) and they rebuilt it with a new motor and trigger. All they did was look in the computer system and saw that I had registered it and it was done in a couple of days. They have a fantastic warranty and for home owner use I have no complaints. I also had an 18 volt Dewalt at work that never let me down for several years. I have been looking at the Milwaukee M18 Fuel models for a while now because of the hammer drill feature that is offered and also the variety of garden tools that they are offering. Based on just the warranty, I don't think you can go wrong with the Rigid tools. They perform very well and are priced reasonable with specials offered all the time. I have heard people complain about HD not honoring their warranty but I have not had that issue with them. Make sure you register them online. Good luck.

6. Top | #15
    I have been using the Milwaukee M12 drill and driver for several years and I do a lot of cabinet installing and shop work. I really like them and I am currently looking at upgrading to the newer FUEL units because I would like an impact driver.
    If I was starting fresh, I would probably go with the M18 because there is a wider variety of tools available but the 18 volt is more expensive.
    I found this forum looking at M12 reviews on YouTube and the review of the M12 5-3/8" saw has basically convinced me to stay with the 12v because I already have 5 batteries and 3 chargers.
    I want to stay with one brand and voltage so I don't have to have a fleet of different chargers and batteries and I know whichever tool I need will have a charged battery.

7. Top | #16
    I like all the brands that have been mentioned on this thread. I have used many of them from various jobsites with reps coming around and saying "Hey try this one". But along with Twin Oaks (our Resident Geezer), I prefer RIDGID because of the common battery usage (which RYOBI also has) and the durability is outstanding. You would not be disappointed with any of the brands mentioned here. But I do recommend 18V. The reason for that is simple. You'll always have that one job where the 12V will come up short. You'll then go get your corded drill and extension cord(s) to finish off the 5 minute job. It happened to me a few times and then I got the 18V drill and haven't regretted it since.
    WHAT IS AN ASKHOLE?

A person who constantly asks for your advice,
    yet always does the exact opposite of what you told them.

8. Top | #17
    M12 and M12 Fuel drill/driver isn't what I'd call small. It's longer than my compact M18 but slimmer and lighter weight. I'd take a reallyy hard look at the sub-compact Makita if I wasn't investing in M18/M12.

9. Top | #18
    Don't forget about Bosch. The DDB 181 is one of the most compact 18 Volts out there. Ryobi does have the one battery for all system, but I would not rate it in the same class as the other drills mentioned here. Most online reviews rate Milwaukee and Makita as the top two brands at the moment. The Milwaukee is a bit bulky and more expensive than most other brands, but very good quality. You can't go wrong with Makita - excellent quality, good price and compact.

10. Top | #19
    I have no complaints with my Makita. Compact and powerful.

11. Top | #20
    This may be sacrilege here but I recently bought one of those new Hercules drills from Harbor Freight and I couldn't be happier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12