Join Today
Ryobi
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Tools Everone Should Own

1. Top | #21
    I have tools I don't even know I have. I've been known to buy one then find another one like it later stored in a drawer.

I think tool needs beyond the basics happens over time as you need them. I always found it cheaper to buy the tool and do it myself than hire someone with the tools- except maybe the machines used in some operations. But looking on CL and patience pays off.

Yeah- grinders have always scared me. At that speed a shattered wheel can kill you. I built a belt grinder- very safe and does a better job than a wheel grinder ever did.
    Last edited by 2nuts4tools; 09-27-2018 at 04:07 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

3. Top | #22
    I need vacuum cleaner.

4. Top | #23
    Agree with 2nuts.
    For me, it's a close tie between my corded circular saw, and my angle grinders. The stationary machines aren't going to jump out and get me, and best practice for controlling the stock is well defined. With the circular saw and grinder, both the material AND the tool tend to jump during a kick-back event.

Hard to tell that there's something everything should own (except for hammer + nails). You know, we all have different skills and experience, so I would not recommend a novice start with a hottest equipment.
    What about must have tools for me (excluding elementary ones) it's these: thickness planer, table saw, router with two bits, rasps and, guess, a power drill.
    But after a catastrophic loss I would buy a table saw first, then a DC (ASAP after the TS), lathe, bandsaw.

5. Top | #24
    I have a radial arm miter saw that I use the heck out of, and a spindle sander that I use a lot. Table saw, thickness planer, band saw, router and a jointer/planer. I have cordless drill and a disc sander that come in handy too.
    Have wings, will travel

6. Top | #25
    I have a full mechanics kit from Kobalt, which I've rebuilt my motor with and other components. I also have Milwaukee power tools and other various tools. The thing is, if you don't plan on building cars, making furniture, or really doing a lot of work, then you don't need the tools. Most people can get by with a socket set and some basic hand tools. You don't need the valve spring compressor or oil priming system tool. But having the tools you know how to use and can actually us for the projects you can do, those are what you should have.
    sir_malaki and Texan like this.

7. Top | #26
    Cabinet table saw is an essential tool every furniture maker needs at home.

8. Top | #27
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonsten View Post
    I need vacuum cleaner.
    There are a couple of blogs where you can read reviews on the best vacuum cleaner to buy. If I have the time I would share a link with you.

9. Top | #28
    I have abandoned my Phillips head screwdrivers in favor of JIS (japanese industrial standard). Phillips are designed to "cam out" to prevent over torquing. In doing so they ruin the points on the screw head and cause loss of control of the screwdriver causing scratched surfaces. I have attached a photo of a Vessel JIS screwdriver (ordered from Amazon) that I think everyone should have in their tool box. I think once you try one you wont got back to Phillips.

Tools Everone Should Own-s-l640.jpg
    Last edited by Pacifictime; 05-29-2019 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Reworded
    sir_malaki likes this.

10. Top | #29
    Tor
    You're right, very handy screwdrivers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123