Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Leather toolbelts

1. Top | #1

Leather toolbelts

Just curious what do you guys prefer.

Leather or nylon/polyester workbelt
    See mostly leather out in the construction world.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

3. Top | #2
    a good leather one will last you decades if not your life, even for a pro. On the down side they are heavy and unless spending like you're buying a new truck they are not as customizable. Since I'm not a professional in any building trade and don't use it a lot I really like my Tough Belt, made with nylon and Kevlar. It light weight and best of all its very flexible on options and reasonable price. Since the pockets/bags are easily changed around I have different bags made for different jobs. I just attach the bag for the job at hand.

One thing not to over look, make sure it can accommodate a good pair of suspenders or shoulder straps. When I was in my twenties I could go all day with it on my hips doing a roof. Now in my mid-late thirties, that kills my lower back and sciatica. I bought the tough belt padded shoulder harness and it works great.
    ... I didn't do it!

4. Top | #3
    Banned
    I always used leather. Kept one with just electrical tools and another with mechanical tools. Sometimes I had to wear both at the same time. LOL

5. Top | #4
    I have a leather workbelt
    Never tried the nylon/polyester workbelt
    So I really can not compare both for you

6. Top | #5
    it's REALLY hard to find a good tool belt. everyone has different needs. personally I find the new nylon tool belts wayyyy to bulky. the pouches are nice and large...BUT they are sooo bulky...I am not a huge guy...I weight about 185 and am 6'1...and very lean so these new tool belts are way to big for me to be able to move around comfortably. The leather belt for me are the way to go...BUT also in saying that it's hard to find the right belt for your needs.....after my last belt bit the bullet it took me a long time to find the right belt for my needs....in the end I found a beautiful dewalt belt. I think it only cost me either 100 or 150 bucks ..it was a nice comfortable fit and I use it daily for work...

7. Top | #6
    Been wearing leather for 40 years. I use a leather belt with separate bags and hammer holder, makes it easier to adjust on the belt. It also makes repairs and replacement easier and cheaper.

8. Top | #7
    My tool belt wearing days are over with. I wear a Carhartt apron now & then when I work around here but that's it.

9. Top | #8
    I have both -- and i like both for different things. When I'm doing really rough stuff, I like leather for its durability. For lighter duty stuff, I prefer the Cordura one.
    One thing I have learned is sharp screws and nails tend to work better in a leather one. The fabric is not tough enough to stand up to the sharp points like the leather.
    cdnvet and papadan like this.
    “The man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything.”

10. Top | #9
    In the past, when I wore one everyday, everything was leather. However, I did at least switch the belt over to a nylon. (by not wearing it everyday, the leather belt was getting too rigid... not to mention, I'm getting too fat)

Tried the nylon bag(s) years back, and hated them. The leather would hold open to get my hand in, yet would stay pliable enough when it needed to collapse.

The actual tool pouch is still leather. Never tried anything different, because I never had a need to. Metal hammer hoop, leather tape holster, and formed leather holders for knife, pencil(s), and any other tools needed at the time.
    Whether you think you can or you think you can't; you're right.
    -- Henry Ford

11. Top | #10
    jw3
    I've been using the nylon for the last 10 years. I've never used leather, so I have nothing to compare to. I'm tempted to pick up some suspenders for mine. I just haven't made the time to yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast