Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Trying to fix an old Craftsman Oscillating Spindle Sander

1. Top | #11
    I bought the Ridgid Belt/Spindle sander recently and glad I did. I like the features on it.
    "220...221 whatever it takes."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

3. Top | #12
    IT"S ALIVE!!!!!!! Finally got the sander back together after my vacation. Of course the parts arrived late due to the post office sending them to the wrong post office for distribution. So I had to wait till I got back to work on it. The lower housing cup has been reinforced in the bottom, and the internal ribs are higher. Don't know if they changed anything on the cam follower plate because the original broke into multiple pieces. I also received 2 cam follower plates, which was the hard part to find. So lets see if it lasts another 20 years, if the plate breaks again I'm ready.

Thanks for the help.

Box-o-parts
    Trying to fix an old Craftsman Oscillating Spindle Sander-box-o-parts.jpg

Cleaned motor
    Trying to fix an old Craftsman Oscillating Spindle Sander-cleaned-motor.jpg

New v. old cup bottom
    Trying to fix an old Craftsman Oscillating Spindle Sander-cup-outside.jpg

New v. old cup inside
    Trying to fix an old Craftsman Oscillating Spindle Sander-cup-inside.jpg

Greased up
    Trying to fix an old Craftsman Oscillating Spindle Sander-greased-up.jpg

Back together
    Trying to fix an old Craftsman Oscillating Spindle Sander-put-back-together.jpg

IT'S ALIVE!!!!
    https://youtu.be/VJe1ftxNco8
    tugnut1 and LarryS like this.

4. Top | #13
    Sweet. Congrats!
    A.F.S.

On a scale of 1 to 10........ Be an 11.

5. Top | #14
    Congrats
    "220...221 whatever it takes."

6. Top | #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_malaki View Post
    I need some help....

I was given an older Craftsman Oscillating Spindle Sander, model 113.225906. The spindle turns but does not go up and down. I have taken it apart and know whats wrong with it. I need to replace the cam follower plate (part# 822295) and its housing (part #822296). What appears to have happened is the housing broke, allowing the bearing on the shaft to move. In turn causing the cam follower plate to move/vibrate and break into 35 pieces. The shaft and bearing is fine, only runs out .002 on dial indicator.

I have checked out sears parts direct and ereplacement parts and CAN NOT find the cam plate. Both have the housing but the plate is listed as no longer available. Does anyone know where I can find no longer available parts for this spindle sander? I have looked on ebay and only found 3, all sold and in working order (so not for parts). I was thinking if I could figure out who made it for craftsman/sears I may be able to get it from them or a similar model that was re-branded.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Richard.
    The internet is funny in that I find myself in your exact position in need of this solution. Housing imploded in what seems to be the same way ( new rigid part shown in your kit seems to have added reinforced spindle pattern "fins" for added support to what might have been a known issue with design?).

Can you please tell me exactly what you searched for or even provide a link to your repair kit or seller from eBay? I'm not seeing anything like that myself. Thanks!

7. Top | #16
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigPhilbowski View Post
    The internet is funny in that I find myself in your exact position in need of this solution. Housing imploded in what seems to be the same way ( new rigid part shown in your kit seems to have added reinforced spindle pattern "fins" for added support to what might have been a known issue with design?).

Can you please tell me exactly what you searched for or even provide a link to your repair kit or seller from eBay? I'm not seeing anything like that myself. Thanks!
    I listed the replacement part numbers, read all the posts. This was almost 4 years ago I fixed it so I can't give an eBay listing.

If you do a search on eBay for Rigid EB44240 you can buy the cup and cam follower plate. The cam sprocket is not available as of right now. You could also try to contact Emerson Tools, they are the ones that made them for Craftsman (Sears) and Ridgid.
    Last edited by sir_malaki; 05-11-2019 at 02:35 AM.
    ... I didn't do it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12