Join Today
Ryobi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw

1. Top | #1

EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw

I was able to get a sneak peek at the EGO 56 Volt chainsaw slated to be released sometime soon.

Like I've said before, I am skeptical with how well battery operated lawn equipment can perform. So far, EGO tool line has surprised me. The lawn mower, string trimmer, hedger, and blower have all performed exceptionally well this spring and summer.

EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_6079.jpg

Now the chainsaw......lets start off with some specifications.

The saw has a 14 inch bar, quick chain and bar switchout, easy chain tensioning thumb wheel, easy to see bar oil inspection window, chain kickback break, brushless motor that runs at 6300 RPM's, and its very light weight coming in at around 8.5 lbs.

EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_6080.jpg EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_6081.jpg EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_6084.jpg

EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_6082.jpg EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_6085.jpg EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_6083.jpg

The kit come with the unit, 14 inch bar, Oregon chain, 56 volt 2 amp hour battery, charger and chain cover. This kit does not come with a case or bar oil.

The manual that comes with the unit says that this saw is meant for small to medium sized trees and branches. It also says that it can be expected to make 100 cuts on 4x4 dimentional lumber with one charge. That sounds great and all, but I don't use a chainsaw for dimensional lumber. I like more real world information, but I can see how it would be hard to quantify how many trees it can cut.

So, I decided the best test for this tool was to go out and cut down some of the neighbors' trees.

First off, I cut down a tree that was about 30 feet tall and only about 6 to 8 inches in diameter. This is something that I would call a small tree. The saw ripped right through it and when I started to cut up the tree, I found something out about the saw that I really really liked. Each time you sit the saw down to move logs out of the way, the unit shuts off. I know that should be apparent with the way the chainsaw works, but until I actually used the saw, I didn't realize how great that is. I've always hated sitting down my poulan pro chainsaw in between cuts. The saw loves to stall and when it does, its a bear to get started again. By the way, I hate, hate, hate, my poulan pro saw.

After the tree was all cleaned up, I noticed my neighbor had some larger logs laying around. He had cut down 10 ash trees this winter / spring that had fallen victim to the dreaded emerald ash boarer that is decimating the ash population in Michigan. He has most of his wood split, but still had some 12 inch diameter logs in about 6 foot lengths.

This is where my skepticism kicked in. Could this 14" saw handle a 12" ash tree? The answer is an emphatic, YES. As long as I let the saw do the work and didn't try to push on it, it cut quite nicely.

When I did push hard on the saw for a length of time, the saw would just stop. This is part of the saw's overload protection. This prevents any damage to the brushless motor, which is what you want to see. This overload protection also was apparent if I put the saw in a bind and with me, that happens from time to time.

Now, I didn't run the battery dead on this test. Since run time is not measurable in my opinion (each condition is different), I just focused on performance.

Oh, one thing that I think I should mention, if you have a 4 amp hour battery, the saw will accept that as well. There is plenty of room where the battery slips in at for a larger battery.

EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_6086.jpg

I've shown this saw to several people and so far, everyone is impressed. Better yet, most people that I talk to come up with a new use for it. One of my other neighbors came up with the idea of clearing out shooting lanes for deer hunting and said that he would love to see the unit in camo. Another neighbor thought this would be a good unit for chainsaw art carvings. I think the bar might be a little long for that, but it would be a lot nicer than dealing with a cord. My idea on what this saw would be good for...cutting bowl blanks for the lathe. You could even use this saw in the shop because there is no fumes to deal with.

Now to reality....this saw isn't going to replace the tree trimmer's go to gas powered 20 inch bar chainsaws, but it will fit in nicely with the homeowners and others who hate their Poulan Pro miserable machines.

rrmccabe, MichaelR, WayneT and 3 others like this.
    You would almost think they were all Canadian.....HAHAHAHA
    ----cdnvet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

3. Top | #2
    Nice review !
    I have a corded electric chain saw now. I use it when I work on some of the log homes around here. It's nice to be able to use it inside where fumes would be a problem . I can see this replacing the corded saw because plug-ins are not always available especially in backwoods cabins. Also it's just nice getting rid of the cord altogether.
    tugnut1 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Sounds great! I use my electric chain saw to cut blanks in the winter but I can see this working better. I really like the safety features too!
    tugnut1 likes this.
    "May your life be filled with quality shop time and an unending amount of lumber" Author J Miller

You can follow my work at Underground Woodworking - https://www.facebook.com/UndergroundWoodworking

5. Top | #4
    I can see where the EGO 56 Volt chainsaw would be great for trimming up the trees that I do every spring.

Thanks for the review !!
    tugnut1 likes this.

6. Top | #5
    Just the idea of picking up a saw for a 5 minute job and not thinking about fuel or will it start would be sweet!
    Chuck Nichter likes this.
    A.F.S.

On a scale of 1 to 10........ Be an 11.

7. Top | #6
    I also like the idea of the cordless outdoor tools! I recently bought a 20V, 6ah string trimmer. It is a two-speed unit, with low being plenty for normal use & battery lasts nearly an hour. On the higher speed, about a half hour. I would like to have a chainsaw & pole saw with the same batteries, but so far, they aren't available from that company yet. I wouldn't expect the battery chainsaw to do everything I do with the gas model, but it would make a good addition to what I already have! ~~ Lowell

8. Top | #7
    I could use one of those.
    https://www.facebook.com/Briannasdecals
    https://www.facebook.com/TaylorGardenDesignsHobby
    Never let your ego over power your common sense.
    If you got it, A truck driver brought it!
    Yes, I suck at English!

9. Top | #8
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
    I could use one of those.
    If you get one, let me borrow it!
    A.F.S.

On a scale of 1 to 10........ Be an 11.

10. Top | #9
    Today was a very ambitious day. Since it is the labor Day weekend, that means Pool closing time. It is my second least favorite day of the year. On top of that, since I had some help from my neighbor and his buddy, we took down two fairly large ash trees. The trees were on the way out because of the emerald ash boarer. I've been treating the trees, but I think they overpowered it.

We used a combination of the Ego Chainsaw and a Stihl chainsaw for this project. I think the Ego would have handled it all, but my neighbor has a new Stihl that he wanted to use. As a matter of fact, we used the EGO to fell the first tree and then did about half of the clean up with that. The second tree was fell by the Stihl, but nearly everything else was the EGO. I put the EGO through hell today and actually used about 6 battery charges on it. I used all 14 inches of that bar as well.

I borrowed Brian's DeWalt ladder and Stihl pole saw to trim as many branches off as I could. I'm not great on ladders or with heights, so I did what I could do. The pole saw made things a lot nicer. Everytime I borrow a pole saw, I think that I should have one.

EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_20140821_180520_896.jpg EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_20140821_180529_417.jpg

EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_20140821_180542_474.jpg EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_20140821_180556_632.jpg

My neighbor and I took down the one closest to the house and fell it towards the back yard. It was pretty easy and never hit anything. We had a rope tied up about 25 feet up and was able to guide it right where we wanted to. My neighbor didn't quite cut through deep enough on the front and it didn't come off clean.

EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_20140831_113950_987.jpg

The second tree took a little more effort. We had to get a rope around some higher up branches and ease them to the ground so they wouldn't damage the neighbor's stuff. (Man, I'm glad that I have friends that know what they are doing).

After that, the two other guys put sticks in the ground as a kind of bet to mark where they thought the top of the tree would land. My guess was in the gutter of the house. Our longest path for that tree was directly at the house. I was a little worried.

As luck has it, the tree ended up about 15 feet from the house, ran right along the arborvitae row and never broke a thing. The pool is good, the fence is good and best yet, my gutters are intact (along with the rest of the house).

EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_20140831_124454_014.jpg EGO 56 Volt Chainsaw-img_20140831_125310_445.jpg

Just as I thought, the EGO chainsaw worked awesome. The second tree had a very large trunk. It was all of 14 inches and in some areas, more. I had to rotate the log to cut all the way across. I used a lot of batteries, but it did the trick. If you were to try to take a project on like this with just one battery, you would not be happy, but if you have batteries from the other items, you can have them charged by the time by the in use battery dies.

Oh, by the way. I am very very sore and tired now. My knees are killing me and I am glad that I don't have to do that again. I think I took way too much on today.
    MichaelR and LarryS like this.
    You would almost think they were all Canadian.....HAHAHAHA
    ----cdnvet

11. Top | #10
    So John this was both the trees we were just talking about? So no more ash trees?

You know you could make some ash trays on the lathe
    tugnut1 and MichaelR like this.
    Any hobby that cost money... Sign me up !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast