Join Today
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By QuebecBob

Thread: Homemade Welding Fume Extractor

Homemade Welding Fume Extractor

Hi Folks,

I just joined from Quebec, Canada. I just completed a welding fume extractor for my home shop and would be pleased to show some pics of it. It works pretty good and didn't cost a lot although it took a fair amount of time. I would be glad to have others use the ideas, maybe improve upon them and save you time in making one. I copied the original plan off another website but added in quite a few different features that I believe improve it.

Only problem is I don't know how to post pictures! Never done it before. Can someone guide me if you are interested in seeing them? Tell me also how many I can do in one shot and I'll try to sequence them in the same post.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Hey QuebecBob. Welcome and thanks for sharing with us.

Here is a thread that tells you how to post a picture that we came up with to help our new members.

How To Post Pictures
    You would almost think they were all Canadian.....HAHAHAHA
    ----cdnvet

Homemade Welding Fume Extractor-1photo-5-.jpg I am trying this out to see if I have it right. I started with an old furnace fan.

Homemade Welding Fume Extractor-4a-inside-box-.jpg and built a box, which I riveted to the fan on one side. The other side of the fan housing I closed off, also with a sheet of riveted aluminum I had hanging around.
    Homemade Welding Fume Extractor-5-door-installed.jpg. Put a door on the box and an outlet on the bottom of the box.
    Homemade Welding Fume Extractor-6-underside.jpg. I built a strong steel frame extending from the wall out and around that lower outlet, so that the arm in the next picture will be well supported...not breaking the tin outlet under normal stress of moving the arm around
    Homemade Welding Fume Extractor-7-arm-.jpg Here's the arm I built. I'll insert a few pics of it....Homemade Welding Fume Extractor-8-arm-hood.jpg
    Homemade Welding Fume Extractor-9a-arm-controls.jpg I used flexible aluminum tubing and regular 6" duct. This ductwork arm is attached to an aluminum rod which slides in and out of a pipe (controlled by a welded nut where the vice grips open and shut the rod in the pipe). On the duct I made a simple sleeve that slides up and down.
    Homemade Welding Fume Extractor-10-arm-parked-.jpg Homemade Welding Fume Extractor-12-arm-high-.jpg I hooked the arm to a pulley and rope it up out the way when I am not using it.

The whole thing of course is propelled by the 1hp motor sitting on top of the fan housing. I drop the whole thing down over my welding table. It exhausts outdoors and sucks pretty good. You have to experiment a little with various sized pulley to get the right fan speed.

If this interests anyone, I can tell you more. Thanks
    cdnvet and Chuck Nichter like this.

That is a great setup. Real nice job.

I know that I've said this before, but the ingenuity of the metal workers just impresses the heck out of me.
    You would almost think they were all Canadian.....HAHAHAHA
    ----cdnvet

Bob!

Super nice job! I'd like to do something similar in my future shop.

It looks good to me.
    One can never have enough clamps.

Stuff I've made for the JD4200 or done with it are at this link.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/mjncad

Nice job !

Sent from my iPad

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-26-2014, 03:10 PM