Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Celtic Knot design bottle stopper attempt

Celtic Knot design bottle stopper attempt

I saw a picture of a celtic knot bottle stopper once before and I think I know how they did it. So, I'm going to give it a try.

I started off with a 2 by 2 inch piece of purple heart. I cut a 30 degree miter through it and then glued it back together with a strip of maple in between.

Celtic Knot design bottle stopper attempt-img_20140301_164145_042.jpg Celtic Knot design bottle stopper attempt-img_20140301_164558_147.jpg

After it dried, I rotated the piece 90 degrees and cut another 30 degree miter. I am repeating the glue up that I did in the first step.

Celtic Knot design bottle stopper attempt-img_20140301_180742_287.jpg

Even if it doesn't turn to be a celtic knot, it should still be a pretty cool pattern.

More to come. Possibly even a video if it turns out.
    "Put your seat belt on. I saw this thing on a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can do it."
    ----Dunleavy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Can't wait to see how it comes out

Sent from my iPad

Well, in theory, this thing works.

I made 4 cuts and glue ups to get my pattern.

Here is what the block looks like first chucked up.

Celtic Knot design bottle stopper attempt-img_20140302_150044_890.jpg

Once you rough it out, the celtic knot appears. It looked so cool when I turned it.

Celtic Knot design bottle stopper attempt-img_20140302_151114_522.jpg

I learned a couple things with this first attempt.
    1. as the area where the pattern is gets smaller, the knot gets tighter and doesn't look as good.

2. you want to knot to stay center whatever design you want to do with it. Otherwise, it looks distorted.

Now, here is where it all went wrong for me.

I believe that my hole that I drilled was on a little angle. I forced it into center a little with the live center. (bad move). After I parted off the end, there was a wobble because the mandrel didn't have any stress on it. To fix the wobble, I tried turning it down a little more. (this caused the knot to be too small)

In the process of taking the wobble out, my bowl gouge had a catch and broke the piece plus bent my mandrel. Now I need to go and buy a new mandrel before I can try it again.

Well, you have to fail a few times to learn I guess.

On the positive side, the celtic knot is very doable.

Celtic Knot design bottle stopper attempt-img_20140302_154151_112.jpg

the picture doesn't show it well, but there is about a 15 degree bend in the mandrel.
    "Put your seat belt on. I saw this thing on a cartoon once. I'm pretty sure I can do it."
    ----Dunleavy

That is/was really cool.
    Any hobby that cost money... Sign me up !
    My other toy (click here)

That is neat !!!

That's not good about the mandrel

To bad that one crapped out on you but at least you know you can do it now.After your first post I goggled it and seen a guy that didn't cut all the way through the wood.For a 2" block set your ts blade at 1 7/8".This might help keeping the block square and probably speed up the glue/wait time between cuts.

Sorry to hear about the mishap, especially equipment damage, but it's a very neat design. For purely selfish reasons, I'm glad you're going through the growing pains - when I get a new house with a bigger shop and room for a lathe I'm gonna be picking your brain so much I may have to move in for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tugnut1 likes this.
    "Sometimes the creative process requires foul language." -- Charles Neil.

I got a lathe for Christmas. I have watched dozens of videos. This is the first knot I have seen. Lathe work is not like most other woodwork. I can cut, glue, build, and create whatbi want for the most part. And no, it isn't beautiful and its not near as nice as most of the folks on here. But, lathe work is so much more difficult. I don't know exacyly what it is. But, I thoroughly enjoy it even if I am no good at it. Lol

Thanks for sharing this experience. The knot is beautiful! I am sorry it didn't work out and caused damage.
    tugnut1 likes this.

I'll get it right next time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    ----Dunleavy

That is/will be cool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast