Join Today
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By tugnut1
  • 1 Post By tugnut1

Thread: Flush Valve Seal on an American Standard Champion 4 toilet

Flush Valve Seal on an American Standard Champion 4 toilet

I don't expect this thread to create a ton of interest, but I finally got around to changing my flush valve seal on one of my American Standard Champion 4 toilets. The instruction were very simple and the whole job took less than 5 minutes.

I've been hearing water leaking by when I get up in the middle of the night and the tanks seems to always be filling up.

After I got the seal changed, I took a look at the old seal and noticed a few fairly large bubbles in in the seal that I am sure caused it not to seal properly. You can see the big bubble in the picture.

Flush Valve Seal on an American Standard Champion 4 toilet-toilet-004.jpg

Now its changed and I am back in business.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Well, my toilet continued to leak after I installed the new flush valve seal. The seal was not the problem, but I wasn't sure what it was, so I called American Standard tech support. When I described my issue, they offered to send me out the entire flush valve assembly along with all of the hardware and mounting bolts. I of course said yes.

It just arrived today, and it was what I needed. Apparently, when I mounted the flush valve the first time, I must have really over tightened it and claused it to sit crooked. It was pretty obvious when I took it apart, that I had done something wrong. It went together pretty easy (no swearing) and we are now back in business.

I have to say that customer service like what I just got is what will keep me around as an American Standard customer for years to come. I will make a phone call to their tech department tomorrow and talk to a supervisor to let them know that I appreciate what they did for me. I believe in letting someone know when they go above and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by tugnut1 View Post
    Well, my toilet continued to leak after I installed the new flush valve seal. The seal was not the problem, but I wasn't sure what it was, so I called American Standard tech support. When I described my issue, they offered to send me out the entire flush valve assembly along with all of the hardware and mounting bolts. I of course said yes.

It just arrived today, and it was what I needed. Apparently, when I mounted the flush valve the first time, I must have really over tightened it and claused it to sit crooked. It was pretty obvious when I took it apart, that I had done something wrong. It went together pretty easy (no swearing) and we are now back in business.

I have to say that customer service like what I just got is what will keep me around as an American Standard customer for years to come. I will make a phone call to their tech department tomorrow and talk to a supervisor to let them know that I appreciate what they did for me. I believe in letting someone know when they go above and beyond.
    Hey there

wondering how this has worked out, a year later?

I am having the same issue......

When I bought my toilet, the flapper/fill assembly came pre-assembled in the tank.....

I called AS aboutt his and they sent me out a whole new toilet because a)they were out of the assemblies and b) I also had an issue with a small crack in the bowl portion of the toilet, underneath where the trap meets the bowl, and I had slight seepage there as well.

I got the new toilet via truck delivery and found the same crack in the bowl, and they promptly sent out a new bowl which seems ok....

I have not installed yet...too much going on....

But I am really wondering what is really causing the seepage in the fill assembly to begin with.

So thought I would check with you and see how yours is holding up since the replacement.

Thanks in advance!

The flapper washer was part of the problem, but the rest of the issue was with the rubber/foam doughnut that was between the tank and bowl. It was leaking there (In hind site, I think it was my fault). I called American Standard and they sent me all of the tank parts and that rubber/foam doughnut for free. Everything has been great since. No trouble with the other two that I have either.
    You would almost think they were all Canadian.....HAHAHAHA
    ----cdnvet

Album Member
    Just found this post...
    Wondering if the seal has lasted or if you have any suggestions for a better fix. Mine has started to leak as well.

The seal is holding up fine. If you are curious about yours, it is super simple to remove it to inspect.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    MrMike27 likes this.
    You would almost think they were all Canadian.....HAHAHAHA
    ----cdnvet