Join Today
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: EGO Power Plus 56 volt lithium ion lawn equipment

EGO Power Plus 56 volt lithium ion lawn equipment

I had an opportunity to meet with a representative from EGO recently and was given some samples of their soon to be released 56 volt battery operated lawn equipment.

I have to admit that I didn't know that there were other competitors in the battery operated lawn equipment market. Sure, I knew that you could get a blower or string trimmer, but I didn't realize that others made mowers.

When I went to compare the Ego mower to the others out there, I noticed that there really isn't an apple to apples comparison out there. At least not much to speak of. The Ego mower has the largest battery out there at 56 volts and the largest blade cutting capacity at 20 inches. Others have 40 volt batteries and as little as 14 inches cut capacity. Not much of a comparison there.

So all that I can go on right now is what I am seeing.

At first, I started asking myself, "who would want a battery operated mower and who would this be a good fit for?". Being that I grew up in the country and had over an acre to mow each week, a push mower just doesn't cut it.

Now I live in a small city and my lot size is about 1/3 of an acre. This isn't huge by any means, but is actually a decent size. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to completely cut my lawn. As luck has it, the Ego mower with the 4 amp hour battery is supposed to last 45 minutes to an hour.

Another obvious group of people this would be ideal for is people who don't like the fuss of dealing with the maintenance that a motor requires. The gas that goes in these small engines today have a high amount of ethanol in them which wreaks havoc with the small engines. You need to either use the gas up quickly or replace it. Also, no oil changes or air filters to deal with.

One more thing that this mower does that really apeals to me and I'm sure many others are in the same boat is it doesn't take up much room. You can easily fold it up and put in along the wall. If you try to stand a gas mower up, you will just end up with a mess.

Now, the blower is also surprising. When you pick it up, it is so light that it almost reminds you of a toy. But when you hit the turbo button, the unit really pumps out the air. Until I get this outsite and do a head to head with my gas and old electric blower, I won't know how well it stacks up. But by what I can tell, it will do exceptionally well.

After getting my hands on these units and tinkering with them for a few days, I like what I see. This summer it is going to be fun putting them to the test. It is hard to tell how much quieter these units run than the gas powered ones, but we will find out.

If you are at all interested in these, be sure to check back and I will give feedback throughout the spring and summer to let you know how they are performing. I am actually looking forward to doing lawn work again....I'm sure that will pass though.

LarryS likes this.
    You would almost think they were all Canadian.....HAHAHAHA
    ----cdnvet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register to remove all the ads.

Saw a little commercial somewhere about these, really want that lawnmower, but I already have an electric. Apart from the extension cord the electric works perfectly for me, and I've been using it for enough years to have a pretty good pattern so the cord doesn't interfere much.

But...a battery-powered lawnmower would be fun to use, if anybody is listening...
    tugnut1 likes this.
    The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

Those sound great! Does that mean you won't need you reciprocating saw to do your edging anymore? How are they price wise? and can a person afford one of those large batteries as a spare?
    tugnut1 likes this.
    "May your life be filled with quality shop time and an unending amount of lumber" Author J Miller

You can follow my work at Underground Woodworking - https://www.facebook.com/UndergroundWoodworking

and http://undergroundwoodworking.blogspot.com/

Mower plus 4 amp hr battery....$499. Blower plus 2 amp hr battery....$199 (I think). 2 amp hr battery....$100. I'm not sure how much the 4 amp hr battery is though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    MichaelR and YoungWW like this.
    ----cdnvet

John,
    I'm looking forward to your reviews of this mower. My current gas mower won't last much longer and this would be ideal for the amount of lawn I have. It takes me about 40 minutes or so to mow and I'd love not to be buying gas, filters, oil and doing repairs on the carburetor and pull start and whatever else I would have break down.

Bill
    It's not a mistake, it's an opportunity for design change.

Buy an electric, way more fun than diddling with gas and oil and whatnot. Easier to maintain, lighter, easier to use. Plug it in and go. No pull start to kill your arm, no gas fumes, no loud noisy gas engine

Nice review !!! Looks like a nice mower !!!

I don't think it will do for me since I have 5 acres to mow.

Sure it will, you just have to buy about 10 batteries and at least 4 chargers...
    LarryS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryS View Post
    Nice review !!! Looks like a nice mower !!!

I don't think it will do for me since I have 5 acres to mow.
    That calls for a green and yellow machine... The bigger the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dieselshadow and LarryS like this.
    "Sometimes the creative process requires foul language." -- Charles Neil.

Today, I had my first opportunity to use my EGO 56 Volt Battery operated lawn mower. I've been using the blower for a while now and I am very impressed with it. As a matter of fact, I had a buddy look at the blower a couple months ago and it was just what he was looking for. He went out and bought the blower right after they hit the stores. He is very happy with it and is now looking at buying the hedge trimmer version.

The mower performed without a hitch. The battery lasted for about 45 minutes as advertised. I had a lot of start and stops, which I imagine is harder on a battery than continuous use.

The bagger worked beautifully. It was so much nicer than my old gas mower. I actually emptied that bag 5 times during my mowing, so it cut a lot of grass today.

The mower was extremely quiet and easy to push. It is not a self propelled unit, but since it is basically all hard plastic, it is very light. As a matter of fact, you could actually hang it on the wall if you wanted to. If I remember correctly, it is about 54 lbs.

I am going to continue to use this mower for the entire season and report back from time to time to let you know what I find out.

There are a few things that I am going to keep a particular eye on and I mention them in the video.
    Just for a reference, my lawn is listed at .35 acres. I live on a cul-da-sac street, so the lawn is bigger than a typical city lot.

LarryS and Chuck Nichter like this.
    ----cdnvet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)